Tuesday, March 5, 2013

US Ex-pat filing extension

If you are an ex-pat living overseas, you have available an automatic 2 month extension to file AND pay your taxes due, to June 15.  To invoke this extension, you MUST include a statement with your tax return that you are claiming the extension.  If you need more time, you must file a form 4868 before the June 15 deadline but if you want to file for an extension electronically, do it by April 15.  The on-line services won't take an extension request after April 15th.
If you don't believe me, see what the IRS says, click here.

No comments:

Post a Comment